As you start reading this post, start humming John William's Olympic Fanfare (it will make for a more interesting read). The torch has arrived in Beijing and the count down is now under 24 hours to one of my favorite events- THE OLYMPICS!

I was looking at the schedule for different events and I could not help but think what the Olympics have given me in the past. For years after the 1984 Olympics, I had a Wheaties poster of Mary Lou Retton above my bed. I can still remember how nervous I was when she competed and how overwhelmed I was when she receive perfect scores. I use to pretend to do different gymnastic moves and then throw my arms up to receive my score. So fun!

The 1984 and 1988 Olympics planted the seed in my heart for the game of volleyball. I started playing when I was 12 years old for my ward team and then I tried out and made my junior high volleyball team. I would not say I was naturally athletic and I am quite short but I loved playing and I loved the game. I owe much of my passion for the game to player #15, KarchKiraly. He was amazing to watch and I just wanted to be a better player every time I watched him. I even picked number 15 for my jersey number so I could be more like him. Below are so pictures from the 1988 Olympics.




So, I can't wait to see what new heroes or new seeds might be planted in my heart during these Olympics. You never know, maybe I will take my mad ping pong skills to the next level!
No comments:
Post a Comment