Sunday, June 15, 2008

Back in the saddle again. . .



. . .or at least getting closer to the horse.

In the last 6 months or so, many well meaning friends and family members have tried to urge, push, and persuade my rebirth into the single scene. Even though I drag my feet, I really do appreciate everyone’s encouragement.

I think my Bishop even picked up on the vibe because he asked me if I would be the liaison between my ward and the mid 30’s single’s group. (We only have 3 mid 30's singles in my ward counting me!) There have been a couple of meetings and activities that I could not attend but I finally ran out of excuses. So today I went to church in the designated ward for mid 30’s singles. To explain they took a family ward (Chevy Chase Ward) and they designated it the mid 30’s single’s ward too. Everyone meets together for Sacrament Meeting and then they split off- one Sunday school for the singles and one for the marrieds and then everyone meets back together for Elder’s Quorum or Relief Society.

It is a bit nerve racking to meet new people (seriously!). It is also very early. My family ward is about 1 mile away and starts at 1 p.m. The Chevy Chase Ward is 16 miles away and starts at 9 a.m. This really should be a no brainer.

Accomplishments:
1. I saw Senator Harry Reid (it is his ward) and his buzz-cut secret service agents. I also sat next to his wife in Relief Society.
2. I reconnected with some old friends.
3. I sat in a Sunday School class just for single people. (I haven’t done that since I was in college)
4. Signed up to go to a Nationals Baseball game with the singles this coming Saturday.
5. I met a lot of nice people.
6. Stayed for the Linger Longer/Mix n’ Mingle (my peanut butter bars were a huge success!)
7. Got home in enough time to take a Sunday nap

Yes, you should all be proud.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I am the PROUDEST! WAY TO GO CHRIS! I'm sure it was SO hard. But you just need to take baby steps. Maybe you'll end up in Bangladesh too! :)

YAY! We love you!

JENNIFRO said...

Good girl! You survived!!!!

Liz Lehnhof said...

Way to go! Woot-woo!!! I want more details -- and the recipe!