I should say, welcome to the commuter section of my blog. I am thinking I might have to rename my blog to… wait for it, “You Can Keep the Girl in the Car”. It feels like I have been commuting more than usual lately and it has been a bit frustrating (it took me 2 hours in the rain to get home the other night). However, on the bright side, I have been listening to different podcasts downloaded from the Mormon Channel. I think I am becoming a commercial for the Mormon Channel. It is inspiring, awesome and so educational.
One of their programs is called, History of Hymns-The Evolution of LDS Hymns. At first, I thought it would be a 30-minute lecture on a hymn’s origin but let’s be honest, I don’t think that there is that much material. So instead, the first five minutes of the podcast is the history of the composer, the writer, the time period in which it was written/ composed and the last 25 minutes is the song performed by different groups. By the end of the podcast, you have listened to the song maybe 5-6 times and then the best part is that you sing the song in your head all day long.
Today, I thought I hit the podcast for Come, Come Ye Saints but instead I hit the podcast for Be Still, My Soul and I am so happy I did. I just need some reassurance that things were moving in the right direction and sometimes you can find that reassurance in songs, talks, scriptures, etc. You see, I am not dating, seeing, going-out-with the man I dated for 9 months of this year and I am surprised I have any tears left. If someone asks about the situation, I put on a brave face just until my eyes fill with tears. I absolutely love/ loved him and I am so grateful for the fact that he came into my life. From the moment we started talking, I felt an ease that I haven’t felt in what feels like a lifetime. We could talk and talk for hours and I had such confidence in our friendship that I told things that I had never told another human being. He is an amazing man with a good heart and a kindness that I grew to depend on. I wish that somehow we could be friends and that I could have his council and support in my life but this is not how life works. When you stop dating, you stop relying on each other, it is just the way it is and I think it is sad. I am hoping that at some point in our lives, we could be friends again. However for right now, I understand or I am trying to understand and I am putting on that brave face and moving forward with the hope that this song brings. I love the words of this song and they are fitting for a soul that longs for peace and comfort and knowledge that things have a way of working out through the power of the Unseen.
Be still, my soul
1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
3. Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Text: Katharina von Schlegel, b. 1697;
trans. by Jane Borthwick, 1813-1897
No comments:
Post a Comment