Sunday, September 21, 2008

It tastes like birthday. . .

As the story goes, my mom's Uncle Loran and Aunt Mary were Mission Presidents in Argentina after they lived in Uruguay while Uncle Loran worked for the State Department (I asked my mom if Uncle Loran was a spy and she just laughed and said no). While they were there, Aunt Mary learned to make a dish called Milanesa. Well, when they returned home, they brought back the recipe. The dish soon became a family favorite now for four generations. I can only think of one birthday as I was growing up that I did not have Milanesa for my birthday dinner and I would probably guess that my siblings would say the same thing. It is a special treat and even though it is a labor intensive meal, it is so worth the effort. Two weekends ago, my brother Dan and his wife Ellen, and their sweet baby Amelia came to D.C. to spend Dan's birthday weekend with me. Dan wanted Milanesa for dinner so we all pitched in and made a delicious dinner. Every time I make the recipe, I am amazed that my mom went to all the work for each child's dinner and special occasion. (Mom, I am sure you were exhausted but we all really appreciate you spending your time to make our birthdays so special!)

Now, let's get on with the show.

1 high grade boneless beef roast, sliced thin
Flour
Garlic Salt
Oregano
Marjoram (Very Important)
Parsley
Onion Salt
Salt
Pepper
2 Eggs
3/4 cup milk
Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying
Thin-sliced ham
Sliced Swiss cheese
Tomato, sliced

Season flour with spices to taste. Mix eggs and milk in separate bowl. Place bread crumbs in third container. Dip meat slices in seasoned flour, then egg mixture, then crumbs. Fry breaded meat. Drain on a paper sack or paper towels. Arrange on a cookie sheet. Top each piece of meat with a slice of ham, Swiss cheese, and then tomato. Place in oven until the cheese melts.



I usually make the Milanesa the day before the special occasion and keep it in the refrigerator. Then I just warm the Milanesa and melt the cheese before serving. It also freezes very well. My Grandma Todd use to always have Milanesa in her freezer for a quick special meal.

Bon Appetite!

4 comments:

Kathryn O. said...

Oh, I have not had Milanesa forever!!! In fact, I'm not sure Mark has ever had it - can that be? I think I need to get cookin'! :)

Ellen said...

Mmm... Tastes like birthday! :) SO YUMMY! Take it from me. Although it took me a time or two to be convinced of its goodness, it really is amazing!

heather said...

Mmmmmmm...every time I read your blog I get hungry. You are quite the chef!

jill said...

It looks delicious!