When I was in Israel on study abroad, I wrote my mom a letter describing all of the homemade food I wanted her to make me when I got home. The list included things like pumpkin pie and homemade rolls. As an adult, I realize that my letter had little to do with food and everything to do with what the food represented to me. I wanted to feel taken care of and I wanted to feel a bit babied. I like to think of myself as a strong, independent, single woman that can take care of herself but once in a while it is nice to feel taken care of and babied for a few minutes. About a month ago, my brother, his wife, and their darling six month old baby came to visit. They were only suppose to come for a weekend but due to a power outage at their home in Ohio, they came for 5 days. It was a wonderful 5 days for me as my family took care of me. I cannot list all of the things they did for me but I remember that they did my laundry, cleaned my house, bought my groceries, ran my errands, made my bed, cooked my meals, and let me cry on their shoulders. So, how do you thank people who spent their vacation taking care of you? Well, you give them a Hooter Hider! My sister-in-law was talking while she was visiting that she really wanted a Hooter Hider which is basically a covering to keep a mother modest while she nurses. I knew she wanted one and after they left I ran into a dear friend of my that just happens to make them. Erin was sweet enough and patient enough to help me make Ellen her very own Hooter Hider. When I told my sister Liz what I was making, I told her that we should think of our own name. She came up with Milk Masker and my brother Dan came up with my favorite, a Gawker Stopper.
I think we all want to have someone show up make us homemade rolls and take care of us for a little while. Thanks Dan & Ellen...you were lifesavers!


3 comments:
We love you Chris! We were just returning the favor! Thanks for taking care of me during the first 2 crappy years of dental school, helping me to get ready for the baby, and helping me when the baby came! You are the BEST! xoxo. (Sloppy kisses from Amelia)
That was sweet.....they're so nice.
I love the Gawker Stopper/Milk Masker. Chris, it is adorable! Ellen, you are so fashionable, yet modest.
Post a Comment