Saturday, June 21, 2008

Storytime

The Library of Congress started a project called StoryCorps. “StoryCorps is an independent nonprofit project whose mission is to honor and celebrate one another’s lives through listening. By recording the stories of our lives with the people we care about, we experience our history, hopes, and humanity. StoryCorps is one of the largest oral history projects of its kind, creating a growing portrait of who we really are as Americans.”

I first heard about this project on NPR and every Friday, I look forward to hearing another story. There have been several mornings that I will be driving and listening to the stories on NPR either laughing or crying or both. A year before my Grandpa Todd died, a professor from BYU interviewed him for a World War II project. Those recorded interviews are priceless to me and my family because I can hear my Grandpa in his own word describing his life. I think this is why I like blogging. I feel a bit of my history, my hopes, and my humanity can be recorded in my own words.

The story NPR played yesterday was a story of a man named Ray Martinez and how he was adopted. As I was crying, driving to the metro (I know, not that safe) I was thinking of the difference one person can make and in this example how two people could change the life of a five year old forever. At the end of Ray’s story the NPR, the announcer said something like, “Ray Martinez visited a StoryCorps mobile booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado where he was mayor from 1999 to 2005.” How cool is that! This little boy who felt rejected grew up and became a mayor. What an example of what acceptance and love can do.

A picture of Ray Martinez

I hope you enjoy Ray’s story as much as I did. Here is a challenge, record or write something to share. You will be surprised years from now how much it means to you.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

What a great story and what great people. I totally cried while listening. Thanks for posting Chris!

JENNIFRO said...

That was SO touching. I'm so glad you introduced me to that site. How wonderful--loved his story.